Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Train - A.A. Milne

Let it rain, who cares?
I've a train -- upstairs,
With a brake that I make from a string sorta thing --
Which works -- in jerks,
'Cause it drops in the spring and it stops with the string,
And the wheels all stick so quick that it feels
Like a thing that I make with a brake, not string.
Let it rain, -- who cares?I've a train -- upstairs,
With a brake that I make from a string sorta thing --
Which works -- in jerks,
'Cause it drops in the spring and it stops with the string,
And that's what I make when the day's all wet,
It's a good sort of brake, but it hasn't worked yet!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this poem--I remember memorizing it as a youngster, even (audio) taping it on my Dad's reel-to-reel tape recorder, lol. (I could work it better than him, but he gave me Milne in the first place, so we're even, lol.) Wish my aged brain could still recite it by heart, but thank goodness for the internet & sites like this to refresh a childhood memory of joy.

Becky Greager Curtis said...

I am glad to find this too...used to recite it while riding the chair lift when skiing with my cousin, Mark, who taught it to me, but I had remembered a few lines incorrectly.

Unknown said...

read this to the cadence of a steam powered locomotive slowly starting, then picking up speed and finally slowing down and stopping......imagine the huge walking bean and driver wheels, the release of steam as the engineer slowly opens up the valves controlling the pressure to the steam chests.....marvelous how the poet captures this with verse